Planning Portal


  1. Do you need permission
  2. Your responsibilities
  3. Before you start work
  4. Other permissions you may require

The Party Wall etc. Act 1996

A wall is a "party wall" if it stands astride the boundary of land belonging to two (or more) different owners.

Some kinds of work carried out to a property may not be controlled by the Building Regulations, but may be work which is covered by the Party Wall etc. Act 1996. This is a separate piece of legislation with different requirements to the Building Regulations.

A booklet has been produced by DCLG to explain in simple terms how the Party Wall etc Act 1996 ("the Act") may affect someone who either wishes to carry out work covered by the Act (the "Building Owner"), or receives notification under the Act of proposed adjacent work (the "Adjoining Owner").

This booklet has been simplified and updated to provide some answers to regularly asked questions. For example: what a party wall award can cover, what to do if a building becomes unsafe or there is excessive noise from the work being carried and the role of the surveyor. 

We would welcome your feedback on how useful you have found this publication to help us improve guidance on the Party Wall etc. Act 1996 in the future by completing the following short survey.

Access the survey

Party Wall etc Act 1996: Explanatory booklet