Planning Portal

  1. Planning
  2. Appeals
  3. Appeal Service
  4. Search for an appeal

Search for an appeal

You can use this facility to find an appeal which has been accepted as valid.

The quickest way to search is to enter the final part of the appeal reference, e.g.:


Important: We are in the process of moving from one casework system to another. During this short transitional period appeals are split across two systems and you may have to check both facilities to find the appeal you wish to view.

Use our new search where the appeal reference begins with a 3 (e.g. 3123456).

Use our old search where the appeal reference begins with a 2 (e.g. 2123456).

If you cannot find your appeal on the old search and you know it has been accepted as valid please use the NEW search above as it may have already been moved.

By 31 March all ‘live’ appeals will be available on the new search. From this point the old search will be removed.  Starting with the most recent appeals we will be transferring decided cases (up to  5 years old) so that it will be possible to view historic appeal decisions under the new search.  However, there will be a short period from 1 April where some historic appeals are not available on the site.  We aim to keep this period to a minimum.

Until 31 March both search facilities allow you to search using other criteria (such as site address). If you are unsure, contact the Customer Support Team. Tel: 0303 444 5000.  Email:

Once you have located the appeal, you are able to view selected details about the case and view any documents published to the case, including the decision once made.  Please be aware that we do not routinely publish all documents.  Where they aren’t available, you should be able to view them at the offices of the relevant local authority dealing with the appeal, and sometimes, the local authority may also have published them on their own website.  We recommend using Adobe Reader 9 or higher to view PDF documents.

For decisions that are older than 5 years, please contact the relevant local authority.

Called in planning applications (Secretary of State decisions) and the associated Inspectors Reports are supplied by the Department for Communities and Local Government.  You can also visit that site to view decisions and Inspectors Reports for recovered appeals.