- Planning Policy & Legislation
- Current Policy
- Circular 02/07: Planning and the Strategic Road Network
Circular 02/07: Planning and the Strategic Road Network
This circular explains how the Highways Agency (the Agency), on behalf of the Secretary of State for Transport, will participate in all stages of the planning process with Government Offices, regional and local planning authorities, local highway/transport authorities, public transport providers and developers to ensure national and regional aims and objectives can be aligned and met. This circular:
- sets out how the Highways Agency will take part in the development of Regional Spatial Strategies (RSSs) and Local Development Frameworks (LDFs) from the earliest stages;
- encourages the Agency and Regional Planning Bodies (RPBs) and Local Planning Authorities (LPAs) to work together to ensure effective participation in the preparation of regional and local sustainable development policy;
- sets out how the Agency will deal with planning applications.
This circular replaces the guidance in Circular 04/2001, Control of Development affecting Trunk Roads and Agreements with Developers under Section 278 of The Highways Act 1980 in relation to the control of development affecting strategic roads.
Guidance on agreements with developers under s.278 of the Highways Act can be found in Guidance on Agreements with the Secretary of State for Transport under the Highways Act 1980.
This circular is applicable to the whole strategic road network in England.
View the circular here.